As I stood at the kitchen counter mixing flour and water to make pizza dough, my daughter eagerly watched from the sidelines. She had always been fascinated by the process of making dough from scratch, and this time I decided to let her help.
I showed her how to combine the ingredients and knead the dough until it was smooth and elastic. She took over, using her small hands to work the dough. It was a bit messy, but she was having so much fun that I didn’t mind.
Once the dough was ready, we rolled it out and topped it with sauce, cheese, and our favorite toppings. We placed the pizza in the oven and waited anxiously for it to bake.
When it was ready, we sat down to enjoy our homemade pizza. My daughter took a bite and smiled with pride. “We made this together, Mom,” she said, and I felt a surge of joy and satisfaction. It was moments like these that I cherished, and I knew that this would be a memory we would both hold dear.
Ingredients Needed To Make Pizza Dough
To make pizza dough from scratch, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 and a half cups all-purpose flour: This type of flour has a medium protein content and is suitable for making a wide range of baked goods, including pizza dough.
- Half a teaspoon of salt: This adds flavor to the dough and helps to balance out the sweetness of the other ingredients.
- 1 teaspoon of sugar: A small amount of sugar helps to feed the yeast and helps the dough rise.
- 1 pack of active dry yeast: This is the type of yeast commonly used in pizza dough. It is mixed with warm water to create a foamy mixture that will help the dough rise.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil: This adds moisture and flavor to the dough.
- One and a half cups of warm water: This is used to create the dough and helps to bind the ingredients together.
Each of these ingredients is carefully selected to create a delicious and easy-to-work-with pizza dough. The all-purpose flour provides the structure and texture for the dough, while the salt, sugar, and yeast help to add flavor and allow the dough to rise. The olive oil adds moisture and flavor, and the water helps to bind everything together. Together, these ingredients create a delicious and versatile pizza dough that can be used to make a wide range of tasty pizzas.
Making The Pizza Dough and Pizza
To make pizza dough with the ingredients listed above, follow these steps:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, salt, and sugar. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine the warm water and active dry yeast. Stir until the yeast is dissolved, then let it sit for a few minutes until it becomes foamy.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and stir until a shaggy dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes, or until it is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough back into the mixing bowl and cover it with a clean kitchen towel. Let it sit in a warm place for about 1 hour, or until it has doubled in size.
- Once the dough has risen, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and punch it down to remove any air bubbles.
- Roll out the dough to your desired shape and thickness.
- Place the dough on a lightly greased pizza pan or baking sheet. Top with your desired sauce, cheese, and toppings.
- Bake the pizza in a preheated oven at 425°F for 12-15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Once the pizza is baked, let it cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy your homemade pizza!
Change it up: Sauces
There are many different kinds of sauces that can be used on a pizza, depending on your personal preferences and the type of pizza you are making. Some of the most popular options include:
- Tomato sauce: This is the classic sauce used on many types of pizza. It is made from crushed tomatoes and can be flavored with a variety of herbs and spices.
- Pesto sauce: This sauce is made from fresh basil, garlic, pine nuts, and olive oil. It has a vibrant green color and a fresh, herby flavor.
- Alfredo sauce: This is a rich and creamy sauce made from butter, heavy cream, and Parmesan cheese. It is often used on chicken and vegetable pizzas.
- BBQ sauce: This is a sweet and tangy sauce made from tomato sauce, vinegar, sugar, and spices. It is commonly used on BBQ chicken pizzas.
- Olive oil and garlic: This simple sauce is made by mixing olive oil and minced garlic together. It adds a subtle garlic flavor and a hint of richness to the pizza.
Change it up: Cheeses
There are many different kinds of cheese that can be used on a pizza, depending on your personal preferences and the type of pizza you are making. Some of the most popular options include:
- Mozzarella: This is the classic pizza cheese. It has a mild, slightly salty flavor and a creamy, stretchy texture.
- Parmesan: This is a hard, sharp cheese that is often grated and used as a topping on pizza. It adds a salty, nutty flavor to the pizza.
- Feta: This is a soft, crumbly cheese that is made from sheep’s or goat’s milk. It has a tangy flavor and is often used on Greek-style pizzas.
- Gorgonzola: This is a strong, blue-veined cheese that has a sharp, tangy flavor. It is often used in small amounts as a flavor booster on pizza.
- Cheddar: This is a semi-hard cheese that has a mild, slightly sharp flavor. It is often used on pizzas with a variety of toppings, such as bacon and onion.
There are many different toppings that can be added to a pizza to enhance its flavor and texture. Some of the most popular options include:
- Pepperoni: This is a spicy, cured meat that is sliced and placed on top of the pizza. It adds a spicy, salty flavor and a satisfying chewiness to the pizza.
- Sausage: This is a type of ground meat that is flavored with spices and herbs. It is often crumbled and placed on top of the pizza. It adds a savory, meaty flavor to the pizza.
- Mushrooms: These are a type of fungi that have a meaty texture and a slightly earthy flavor. They are often sliced and placed on top of the pizza. They add a satisfying chewiness and a depth of flavor to the pizza.
- Onions: These are a type of bulbous vegetable that have a sharp, pungent flavor. They are often sliced and placed on top of the pizza. They add a mild sweetness and a subtle sharpness to the pizza.
- Bell peppers: These are a type of sweet, crunchy vegetable that come in a variety of colors. They are often sliced and placed on top of the pizza. They add a fresh, crunchy texture and a mild sweetness to the pizza.
- Olives: These are a type of small, salty fruit that is often pitted and sliced. They are placed on top of the pizza and add a salty, briny flavor to the pizza.
- Pineapple: This is a sweet, tropical fruit that is often diced and placed on top of the pizza. It adds a juicy sweetness and a tropical flavor to the pizza.
- Spinach: This is a leafy green vegetable that has a mild, slightly bitter flavor. It is often wilted and placed on top of the pizza. It adds a fresh, green flavor and a boost of nutrients to the pizza.
- Tomatoes: These are a type of juicy, red fruit that is often sliced and placed on top of the pizza. They add a fresh, juicy sweetness and a pop of color to the pizza.